Al Bayader: Rooftop, Dubai
Over 2,000 solar PV panels
Approximately 600 tons of CO2 avoided per year
Over 1,500 MWh produced per year
- TotalEnergies has installed the largest solar rooftop commissioned by a food packaging company in Jebel Ali Free Zone, which is set on the rooftop of Al Bayader International’s state-of-the-art manufacturing plant
- With a solar system capacity of over 980 kWp, the solar rooftop will generate more than 1.5 GWh of electricity annually
Dubai, UAE; November 1, 2021: Al Bayader International, the UAE’s sustainable and innovative manufacturer and supplier of packaging and cleaning solutions, and TotalEnergies, a global multi-energy company, have today inaugurated the country’s first and largest solar rooftop within the food packaging sector at its state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in Jebel Ali Free Zone (JAFZA).
Set on the rooftop of the plant, the solar system’s high-efficiency photovoltaic panels were installed by TotalEnergies in a 20-year partnership with Al Bayader International. The 980 kWp solar rooftop plant spans an area of 4,000 square metres and will generate over 1.5 GWh of clean electricity annually.
The solar rooftop was inaugurated by Mrs. Habiba Al Marashi, Co-Founder and Chairperson of Emirates Environmental Group (EEG), at a special ceremony attended by Nidal Haddad, Founder and CEO of Al Bayader International; Jamil Haddad, Chairman of Al Bayader International; Elias Kassis, President, TotalEnergies in the UAE and TotalEnergies Country Chair in the UAE, Matthieu Langeron, Vice-President TotalEnergies Distributed Generation, Hamady Sy, Managing Director TotalEnergies Renewables Distributed Generation MEA, Abdulla Bin Damithan, CEO & Managing Director DP World UAE & Jafza, and representatives of the companies.
Al Bayader International’s solar rooftop is part of the Shams Dubai programme and will offset approx. 700 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually, equivalent to planting over 17 thousand trees. Every unit of electricity generated by the rooftop will be audited and accounted for by TotalEnergies, with an advanced monitoring system to measure the amount of energy generated and financial benefits thereof, calculated in real time. Through this solar project, TotalEnergies is actively participating to the development of solar energy in the UAE under the Shams Dubai Initiative.
Commenting on the path-breaking industry initiative, Habiba Al Marashi said: “The opening of the solar rooftop by Al Bayader International sets a model for the food packaging industry as well as other sectors to tap the enormous potential of clean solar power generation. The rooftop aligns with the vision of the UAE’s leadership to achieve net zero emissions by 2050 and complements the country’s energy transition strategy. The solar rooftop serves the twin objectives of cutting greenhouse gas emissions and reducing the dependence on the public sector power grid by generating clean energy at source and effectively address UN SDG 13 – Climate Action.”
Nidal Haddad added: “The rooftop is part of our wider sustainability programme to be a net zero emissions company and aligns with the National Food Security Strategy 2051, which focuses on promoting food safety while conserving the environment. A sustainable food system is a core priority for the nation, and as the leader in the food packaging sector, we will continue to invest in innovative and sustainable solutions to limit our environmental footprint. Integrating the solar panels on the rooftop of our advanced manufacturing plant will enable us to make long-term financial savings on energy costs and also conserve the environment, contributing to a more sustainable future.”
Elias Kassis declared: “Through our longstanding partnership with the UAE and close relationships with industrial customers in the UAE, TotalEnergies is participating in numerous renewable energies projects and initiatives, fully in line with the Company’s strategy, and contributing to the Climate Ambition of the UAE. We are committed to support companies in the UAE, such as Al Bayader International, in their energy transition. We believe that cooperation among all industrial players is needed to achieve the global objectives of the energy transition to reach carbon neutrality.”
Among Al Bayader International’s sustainability best practices include a Botanical Garden in Jebel Ali that has over 20 types of plants and 240+ trees native to the Mediterranean region, which is irrigated using treated sewage water. The garden offsets 2.5 tonnes of carbon dioxide annually.
The company’s manufacturing processes in Jebel Ali are also zero waste – all industrial scrap produced during production is recycled and reused in production. The group adds recycled bottle flakes in its production from local suppliers, ensuring it contributes to recycling local waste, in addition to having an Eco-Bayader Products Programme which further encourages consumers to embrace sustainability.
About TotalEnergies and Al Bayader International
- TotalEnergies, a broad energy company that produces and markets energies on a global scale: oil and biofuels, natural gas and green gases, renewables and electricity. Our 105,000 employees are committed to energy that is ever more affordable, clean, reliable and accessible to as many people as possible. Active in more than 130 countries, TotalEnergies puts sustainable development in all its dimensions at the heart of its projects and operations to contribute to the well-being of people.
- As part of its ambition to get to net zero by 2050, TotalEnergies is building a portfolio of activities in renewables and electricity that should account for up to 40% of its sales by 2050. At the end of 2020, TotalEnergies’ gross power generation capacity worldwide was around 12 GW, including 7 GW of renewable energy. TotalEnergies will continue to expand this business to reach 35 GW of gross production capacity from renewable sources by 2025, and then 100 GW by 2030 with the objective of being among the world's top 5 in renewable energies.
- Al Bayader International has established itself over three decades as an international leader in manufacturing and supplying comprehensive food packaging solutions.
- With a dedicated team of around 900 employees and the support of over 400 business partners, the company delivers added value to the global food and beverage industries and offers an extensive 1,700+ product portfolio, which represents the backbone of the retail and food service sectors.
- As part of its constantly expanding business, Al Bayader International currently owns and operates six manufacturing and nine logistics locations with a current production capacity of 31,000+ tons per annum and increasing. They lead several GCC markets with a substantial market share, while steadily increasing penetration into markets further afield, including Europe and Africa.
For more information please contact:
Al Bayader International Contacts:
CLAY TABLET | Voice International | Mob: +971 55 4459063 | Email: [email protected]
TotalEnergies Contacts in the Middle East:
Media Relations: +971 54 388 6525 l [email protected]
Solar photovoltaic rooftop for Al Bayader installed by TotalEnergies in Dubai UAE
Al Bayader International inaugurates the UAE’s first solar rooftop in the food packaging sector in partnership with TotalEnergies